Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Seriously? Like, for reals??

Okay, I feel like I need to preface that this post isn't going to make anyone cry...or lead anyone to think I'm having/adopting a real live baby.  ;) But just so we are clear...that post is alllllllll true.  You shoulda seen Elizabeth cry over this car!! Lol. It really sucks how badly I want to drive it-  especially with the weather getting better and better each week.  I can't wait.

Anyways.  Back to life(...back to reality)..

There's only one and a half weeks of actual school, before the ten days of exams.  Seriously, I can not express how excited that makes me.  And sad.
I just want to sleep again.  Just once.  ;). And I just want to get laundry folded.  ("what is this folding you speak of?!"). And I just want to run.

But I will miss helping and providing care on a daily basis to people who brighten my day.  Of course...there's always my kids and husband...but I doubt they want me to put incontinence pads on them.  Althooooough. ...

There's only one week left in our clinical setting, and I have grown to love some of the residents so much more than I thought I would.  Maybe even more than others would think I should!  Sterile and professional has no room for affection or emotion.

One lady has particularly touched my heart, and I am so sad to know how limited her time is on earth.  Today she barely got out of bed, and didn't look so well.  Although I am no longer her primary care giver, I notice a change in her and go in to visit with her daily.  And when they spend all night saying they "want to go home", I am aware that they aren't referring to a physical,earthly home.  Something about the way they say it, to whom, and when, makes a keen nurse aware that there's more to that simple saying.  And I don't apologize for letting them know, gently and in our own conversations, that it is okay to "go home" whenever they are ready.   I know what they are saying, and they know what I am saying too. 

Sometimes, nursing isn't about the physical "fixing".  It's not always about the medicine, the routine, the diagnosis.  In fact, I think it is usually NOT about using the medicine to heal as much as it is about using the spirit.

Whether you believe in a higher being or fate or whatever, spirituality is something we spend time in school learning.  It is considered a factor of health-  like eating or sleeping or pooping.  So it is sad that we take it out of so many avenues of our lives.  Keep spirituality out of the schools, the hospitals, the government.  And what do we end up with? 

The more we take spirituality OUT, the sicker a society we are becoming.

I am not advocating prayer circles at the dinner tables or bible studies during lunch hour, but spirituality is so misunderstood.  It is more than religion.  It is much more.  And once we figure out how important it is, we will be better off.

Like I said on Facebook quoting Patch Adams;  "we cant promise to cure, but we can promise to care". 

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Amen to that! My mom was a nurse for 45 years. 35 years of those being a caregiver in the extended care unit (read: the LAST place where her patients "lived"). They loved her SO much. Especially the families of those patients. They just KNEW their loved one was in good hands with my mom. I have a feeling you are just like her. ; D It is so rare these days in places like those. I beg to differ..... professional and sterile DO and should have room for emotion. I know you were just being facetious.... so I guess you could say I agree with you. ; D

Our Family Adventure said...

You are on your way to becoming an amazing nurse. You have a heart and BRAIN to serve individuals. Rock it to the END. :o*

Brandi said...

Yes!! Beautifully written! You are going to be just amazing as a nurse :)
Good luck on your exams!