Monday, February 14, 2011

Still?!

Valentine's day hasn't really done much for me ever.  I'm one of those " you don't need ONE day a year to show love" type of girls.  Will is luckily off the hook for me... Will, not saying I wouldn't love whatever you did..the bouquets of flowers you're going to buy... The boxes of yummy candies or chocolate.. The special manties you are wearing under those hot jeans...
But I'm not sad if it's nothing.  (Haha.. I mean, I'm not sad if the GIFT is nothing... I wasn't referring to the things under his jeans.)

ANYWAYS...
I was thinking of all my recent valentine's days. 

Five years ago, I flew out with my newborn baby and visited my father, who had recently suffered a massive brain aneurism.  While my mother went to Mexico for my sister's wedding, I sat with a very different father and wondered if things would ever be the same.

Four valentine's days ago, I sat in another waiting room... X-weighted had chosen me for the next interview round.  I still had three more cuts to make it through, but these moments would be the catalyst for some serious changes in my life.

Three valentine's days ago,  I didn't know that THE NEXT DAY, I would find out that my husband of eight years was having an affair with a close friend.  I was thinner and healthier, but those were days i barely remember.   Thankfully.

Two valentine's days ago, I had met Will.  We were only friends at the time,  both dealing with impending divorces.  He was actually signing his papers and making sure that there was no residual feelings just in case divorce wasn't what they wanted.  I was helping Chris pack his stuff out of my home.

One valentine's day ago, I was newlywed.  I was in love like never before.  I was in Vancouver, unaware that my van would be stolen the NEXT DAY!! 

So Yah... Valentine's day is just another day, right?!   This year I may even have a quiet one.. Two exams and dinner guests. 
Grateful my father is still here.  Not still as thin.  Not still married to Chris.  Not still at the Olympics, but still driving my van.

But, above all, most grateful to still be madly in love.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Wow. Lot's of memories this day brings up for you.

I too was one of those kinds of girls thinking that you don't need one day a year to say "I love you".......until.........I saw this video somewhere that completely changed my mind about today.

They called it a day to "honor and celebrate the 'us' " So that's how I think of it now. It's a day to honor him and me. The "US". We celebrate it with a bigger version now than of years gone by. Nothing expensive....but hugely noticed and honored. Did that make any sense? ; D

P.S. I almost forgot about your dad's aneurism. It is SO awesome to see him so healthy and vibrant again now. What a blessing that is.

Enjoy your day Debbi!

kare said...

I would sit in a room with you, any day.